HYY & Stydi's blood donation challenge 3 Oct - 30 Nov - the biggest donor wins a sauna evening!
We are offering our hand to help this autumn, too – the Student Union of the University of Helsinki (HYY) and Stydi, the organisation for social work students, challenge all organisations operating within HYY to take part in this life-saving campaign.
The campaign, launched a year ago, continues with even greater excitement than before as it is now a part of the University of Helsinki’s campaign called ‘– luovuta verta, tue tiedettä’ (‘Good deeds – donate blood, support science’) that will last for the entire academic year. The campaign aims to create a positive atmosphere of doing good deeds and to encourage students and personnel to donate blood and, at the same time, support science. The Fin Donor 10 000 and GeneRISK studies provide valuable scientific information for healthcare and medicine to use. The University of Helsinki and the Finnish Red Cross’s Blood Service also cooperate extensively on other research projects that the campaign aims to shed some light on.
Every working day, around 800 volunteer blood donors are needed so that around 50,000 seriously ill patients (such as premature babies, cancer patients and accident victims) get the treatment they need annually. The patient could be you – donated blood cannot be replaced with medication. Many hands help more than one so let’s get the blood circulating together. It does not cost anything!
The blood donation campaign kicks off on 3 October 2016, and the organisations that donate the most blood both quantitatively and in proportion to their number of members during the campaign period of 3 October–30 November 2016 will win one sauna evening at HYY’s premises. Additionally, all donors receive a #HYYtymättömät overall badge as thanks for their heroism.
#HYYtymättömät #HYYtymättömät2016 #HYviätekoja #isokäsielämälle #VeriRyhmä
Facebook event: hyy.fi/hyytymattomat
How to participate in the campaign:
1. Update the contact information of your organisation’s BloodGroup by sending the name, phone number and email address of your contact person for this year to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you know the name of your previous contact person, mention that in your message.
OR Register a BloodGroup for your organisation at www.veripalvelu.fi/ryhmat. Name your BloodGroup as ‘HYY + your organisation’s name’ – for instance, HYY-Stydi.
2. Let HYY know that you are participating in the campaign by filling in the following form: http://urly.fi/ELz
3. Go and donate blood either as a group or one by one in one of the Blood Service Centres in the Capital Region or in a blood collection event. To help us keep scores, please remember to mention your organisation’s name to the staff when you sign up at your donation location.
If you want to donate blood as a group, please reserve a time for donation in advance by calling the Blood Service Centre. The contact information can be found at https://www.bloodservice.fi/blood-donation/donate-blood/where-can-you-do... and in the Facebook event. This way, Blood Service will be able to prepare for potential rushes. A suitable group size is around 4–6 persons, and you should reserve around an hour for the donation.
4. It is recommended that you test your suitability as a donor in advance at www.sovinkoluovuttajaksi.fi. You can also call the free info phone for blood donors in case you have a question. The number is 0800 0 5801.
5. Communicate about the campaign and about potential group donation days on your own channels. If you so wish, you can also use the material bank available at Blood Service’s website at www.veripalvelu.fi.
8. Use the hashtags #HYYtymättömät2016, #HYYtymättömät, #HYviätekoja, #isokäsielämälle and #VeriRyhmä in social media so that the blood donation challenge gets spread and more patients get help. We communicate about the campaign on Facebook at www.facebook.com/HYY.HUS and www.facebook.com/veripalvelu as well as on the event page, hyy.fi/hyytymattomat. Follow us!